Saturday, June 14, 2008

Yuka Fries - as inspired by an eatery at the MIA Airport

I had fried yuka for the first time at the Miami International Airport-- I know its strange -- but there was a great Cuban restaurant in the terminal that my gate agent recommended I try since I had several hours to kill before my flight. As I approached the restaurant, I was surprised to see a very long line-- just shows that the folks in Miami are not looking for that McDonald's burger before their flight! Anyway, there weren't many veggie options -but I tried the Black Bean Soup and their Yuka Fries. The soup was good-- but it was these fries that just blew me away. Something about the flaky texture of the Yuka and the crunch -- I would choose Yuka over a regular french fry any day!

So I came home and raved to Petey about this delicious new discovery. Even though we live in Tampa, which has many Cuban restaurants, I couldn't find this treat anywhere! I could find plantains a plenty...but not yuka fries!


Low and behold, Petey came home from the local Publix one day with a bag of frozen Yuka - for .59 might I add! We followed the instructions to boil the yuka first (very important step that you can not skip) and then fried them. WOW! They were perfect!


Yuka is also really good boiled and mashed-- with a bit of garlic oil and lemon. I have also had yuka that was grilled-- also pretty good -- but I still prefer the fried version!


Yuka Fries with Garlic Dipping Sauce and Mango Relish






Ingredients

1 Package frozen Yuka

Oil to fry

Salt to taste


What we did:


1. Boil Yuka in large pot of water for 25-30 minutes until tender (do not over boil or you will have mashed yuka)

2. Take out the boiled Yuka and let cool on cutting board (30 minutes)

3. Cut into pieces (3/4"-1" fries)

4. Fry until golden brown (we noticed it does take a bit longer but bear with it)

5. Place on paper towel and sprinkle with kosher salt


Garlic Dipping Sauce

Ingredients

5 tablespoons mayo

5 tablespoons sour cream

1 small garlic clove minced

Salt and Pepper to taste

2 shots Tabasco

1 teaspoon lemon juice


What we did:



1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, salt and pepper to taste and refrigerate for 20 minutes to let flavors come together.


Mango Relish

Ingredients

2 ripe mangoes

1 Thai chili minced with seeds for heat

1/2 small red onion diced

1/2 cup seeded and diced English cucumber

1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Juice of half a lime


What we did:


1. Cut the mango into small pieces (cut around sides of the pit which is in the middle then peel skin, it takes some practice but you will get it!)

2. Add mango and rest of ingredients together in bowl let sit in fridge for 20 minutes

3. when ready to serve add salt to taste



The sweetness of the mango goes really well with the heat of the chili, i think next time we will use a habanero as we are growing our own Thai chillies and habaneros on our huge patio here in downtown Tampa (and by huge i mean 3 feet wide by 7 feet long! ha ha) Check out my peppers!












WDWD?? (what did we drink?)

Corona Extra with Lime!!


No comments: